The problem with travel in Canadian waters is that data coverage is iffy depending on where I am at any given moment. Right now, I'm in Gore Bay using their internet service -- and on the phone with Verizon trying to straighten out my ability to use both the phone and the "jet pack" for internet. Hopefully that is done!!!
Now, back to the Adventures of Sonador.
When I last wrote I was heading to the Wilderness Rally at Harbor Island -- that's still in Michigan but right on the Canadian border. We "rallied" there last year also, and it's a good setting for thirty odd boats to gather, hear discussions as varied as using solar power, tying to shore, best reads, and best recipes. All interspersed with meals. libations, and good times visiting on shore.
The only problem was the weather -- it rained on and off for the whole time -- and not just gentle rains, true downpours. Neither Sophie nor I were happy campers, making the trek to shore in the dinghy, only to get wetter than we would have been had we swam ashore.
On the 3rd of July, we set off across the North Channel to the town of Thessalon, Ontario -- a relatively small town with a good marina, a grocery store, and the essential liquor store (remember you can't bring much into Canada). Much to my surprise, and to those boats travelling with me, the marina was closed -- that is there was no staff there to greet and help me tie up. A local boater came to my rescue, and then I helped the next several boats come in. We had the code for the bathrooms and showers, we were able to plug in for electricity, and we even used the marina lounge for a delightful pot luck that evening.
Out of town by 9 a.m., and off to Long Point Cove -- one of my favorite anchorages. The seas were very calm, the sun shining and boating was good again. I was joined by Mel and Susan on CLASS ACT, Ron and Jo on THYME, HYSSOP, RYE, Chris and Diane on GUNKHOLER -- had happy hour on shore, and simply enjoyed the wilderness around us.
We stayed at Long Point for three nights, then took off continuing to head east into the Whalesback and out to Eagle Island -- another good spot for getting Sophie ashore and exploring. The rain and wind continued for the time we were there; but thanks to CLASS ACT I was enticed to go exploring in the dinghy to another nearby island and to clamber the rocky hills of Eagle looking for blueberries (enough for a handful)
On the 10th, we moved less than 5 miles to South Benjamin Island -- a very protected cove as long as the winds are from the north and east -- which they thankfully were. My first attempt to take Sophie ashore ended up with her on shore, running free and me in the dinghy trying to find a spot where we could actually get back together. She thought it was great fun -- I, on the other hand, had my doubts about this arrangement afterall there are bears and other wildlife that city dog has no concept of. Another blueberry picking adventure (this time with lots) and plans to leave the next morning for Gore Bay.
Woke to dense fog, which appeared to be lifting, so set out for Gore about 7:30. Within an hour I was in a fog bank, sounding my horn every two minutes as the rules of the road require, slowing to a crawl, and keeping an eagle eye on the radar. Only had one radar contact, but certainly felt the wake of a large power vessel passing me -- my guess is it was the local fishing tug which plies these waters every day. Entering Gore Bay harbor was tricky since I still couldn't see much beyond my bow and there is a significant rock break water -- but got around that, into the service dock and finally into a slip. The fog didn't lift until late that afternoon. CLASS ACT experienced the same type of crossing, and other boats simply turned back to their anchorages for a few days.
Why travel under those conditions? Well, the forecast for the next day (the 12th) was for extremely high winds, rain, and just yucky conditions -- and Gore Bay is a delightful town and marina. I've spent enough time here over the years that I know many of the local boaters and have established a passing friendship with several of them.
So, here we sit -- another gloomy day. But this morning is the farmers market, and tonight several of us are going to the local theater. Last evening had dinner with friends, dining on smoked duck and enjoying the change of pace from life on the water.
Plan to depart on Sunday -- weather and the water gods permitting. I'll try to post pictures later today.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment