You wouldn't want to see pictures for the last several days -- chilly constant drizzle, interspersed with heavy rain and a few moments of bright sunshine. The happiest boaters are the participants in the Charlevoix Trout Tournament over this weekend. Crazy fishermen!
So, just to prove that I can forget everything about boating:
Yesterday, in bright early morning sunshine, I motored the few hundred feet to the pump-out (a reality of living on a boat or RV). Successful solo docking at the pump-out facility. Not so pretty coming back into the Marina, but nothing bumped or bruised. Replugged the electric, straightened all my dock lines, retrieved the dinghy, and settled into a peaceful day. Then, "OH NO" -- the head decided to overflow!!! Not nice.
So, unplug electric, remove the dinghy, call the Marina staff to help me cast off -- and backed out into the fairway. Only to find that my port (that's left side for the land lubbers) engine wasn't working. Frantic call for help, and limped back into a near slip with assistance. Tied up, and before I repeated all the steps above decided to see if I could determine what was wrong.
Oh, yeah, I forgot to turn on the port engine. DUH!!! So, with a bright red face, requested assistance again to leave. And crept to Irish (who had installed a new holding tank over the winter) to see if we could determine what was wrong -- with the head, not with my head :)
Well after some trouble shooting, it turned out that Irish had not directed the effluent to the new holding tank but into the old one which simply couldn't hold everything. As long as everything was torn apart, I asked that they change choker valves and other parts of the pumping system. Then, motored back to the Marina and docked like an expert.
Enough lessons for one person, in one day, early in the season. Hope that I don't have to relearn any of this!!
Today is paperwork, jigsaw puzzles, and plans to get together with fellow boaters for drinks tonight.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment