Thursday, May 22, 2014

Loading Up Sonador for a Summer of Fun

Having put 1450 miles under my car -- I arrived in Boyne City on Wednesday afternoon as planned and have been staying with good friends Donna and Lou Diaz (TEQUILA) until I've settled everything into Sonador.  Only a little bit of scary weather just north of Dayton, Ohio as we passed underneath/thru a front where the temps dropped from the mid-seventies to the very low fifties in the space of twenty minutes with torrential down pours and ground stike lightning.  Then, just to add to my wonderment of mother nature, as I passed the 45th parallel all the trees looked dead -- turned out the leaves are just beginning to bud.  It's late May, for crying out loud!!!

Arrived in warm weather -- low seventies with bright blue sky -- only to wake this morning to a very low cloud cover and temps more in the low forties.  Not very inspiring for the day of work I'd laid out.  But, Sophie and I forged on -- arriving at Irish in Charlevoix a little before 10 a.m.  After Sophie was greeted by all her friends, with a few "oh, hello, Melissa," as follow-up -- we located Sonador at Irish' main marina.  Saw several acquaintances, including Jim and Susan Fish (FISH TALES) -- everyone talks about the "winter that was" and how glad they are that it appears to be over. Stories of towns with frozen water mains, and frost levels down a good seven feet -- and ice still in Lake Superior (7% coverage as of this morning.) 

By 11 a.m., Sophie was in her appointed spot on the front of Sonador, surveying her surroundings.  She certainly is at home in this different environment.  I managed to unload most of the stuff from the car, and get a lot of it put away.  I plan to move on-board Saturday in the morning, and then just hang out.

Of course, miss my friends in Florida -- but this is another world, filled with planned adventures to the North Channel and getting together with all my boating friends.

(please excuse the quality of the pictures -- taken with my I-phone until I get my real camera thanks to Susan)
 

No comments: